It's still in the 50s and 60s where I live but the days have been overcast so I've been in the mood to make soup. I love chicken and dumplings in theory but except for one magic, secret recipe that belongs to one of my college roommates I've never had homemade chicken in dumplings that didn't taste like it had seawater for broth.
I've been tinkering with the recipe for a little bit and I've finally found one that I love! It's heavy on the vegetables and light on the chicken. It'd probably be yummy with veg broth and no chicken at all. Best of all it was on the table and in our tummies in no time.
6 cups Swanson Natural 99% fat free chicken broth
2 cups of water
1 T olive oil
Milk or milk substitute
1t Italian seasoning
1/2 c potato flakes
1 bag of frozen pepper strips
2 celery ribs
1 can of white beans
1 can of chicken
- Saute your onion in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Eyeball it. EVOO YOLO.
- Add your bag of frozen peppers and stir them around to thaw
- Add carrots as you get them chopped up
- Add celery and you get it chopped up
- Stir everything around until you're sure the peppers have thawed. Sprinkle everything with pepper.
- Add all of the chicken broth and 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add a can of rinsed and drained beans and canned chicken while everything is coming up to a boil. I used butter beans because that's what I had.
- Now make the dumplings.
2 1/4 cups of Bisquick + 2/3 cup of milk like substance + 1 t of Italian Seasoning. Mix until combined.
- Once the soup is boiling add in the 1/2 cup of potato flakes. It'll act as a thickener without using cream of whatever soup.
- Drop in the dumplings in Tablespoon sized blobs.
- Boil everything uncovered for about 10 minutes. With about 4 minutes left to go you can drop in the chopped kale. I like a lot of kale.
Tuesday, December 11, 2012